Pain management can be simple or complex, depending on the cause of the pain. Nerve root irritation from a herniated disc with pain radiating down the legis an example of pain that is less complex. This condition can often be relieved with an epidural steroid injection and physical therapy. Sometimes, however, the pain does not go away. This can require a wide variety of skills and techniques to treat the pain. These skills and techniques include:
- 1.Interventional procedures.
- 2.Medication management.
- 3.Physical therapy or chiropractic therapy.
- 4.Psychological counseling and support.
- 5.Acupuncture and other alternative therapies; and
- 6.Referral to other medical specialists
All of these skills and services are important because pain can involve many aspects of a person’s daily life.
Postural Management (PM) is a multi disciplinary approach that has
the potential to aid in improving and maximizing an individual’s
abilities in a wide variety of ways including:
• Taking part in activities including self care activities
• Enabling choice
It is a 24 hour program involving the evaluation and management
of all positions that an individual uses i.e.. lying in bed, sitting and
standing, and is part of the recovery process or disability