Egg donation is a process can help a woman get pregnant. This process involves a woman donating an egg or oocyte to a woman who is in need of it. A fertile woman can help in ovum donation. The woman who receives the egg might conceive with the help of the donated egg.
The procedure which usually involves a doctor removing an egg or eggs from the donor and then fertilizing them in a particular laboratory and then transferring the embryos into the uterus of the recipient. Doctors do this by using an implantation procedure which is also known as Vitro fertilization or IVF.
Sometimes the specialists at the facility may freeze some embryos or all the embryos for using them later or implanting them in different other women.
How egg donation benefits other women?
Egg donation usually benefits women who cannot put their own eggs to use for different reasons. Some of the reasons might be an ovarian failure, avoidance of congenital anomalies inside the fetus at a younger age.
In the year 2014, the entry in the journal Fertility and Sterility suggested that 93 per cent of all the fertility centres in the United States would offer egg donation. The study usually indicates that the procedure resulted in the successful conceiving and a lot of women are born.
IVF centres in Kolkata
There are a number of IVF centres in Kolkata and some of these are really famous:
Season IVF centre
Care fertility solutions Pvt limited
Indira IVF hospital
Risk and side effects related to egg donation
The risk of the egg donation process is actually low but at times the side effects can be very serious as well. The procedure and the ways of medication for the women who are conceiving through egg donation is as same as women who have their own egg.
The anaesthetic carriers that are used can pose a lot of threat as a whole. During the egg retrieval process, risks can arise but the serious problems are not that common.
- Some women might experience bleeding when a needle is inserted inside the ovary. Damage to the organs such as the bladder, the kidney is also indicated.
- During the removal of the eggs from the body of the women, certain problems might arise like severe pain and severe bleeding.
- Infection can also take place and because of these doctors might prescribe antibiotics and usually, antibiotics have a lot of side-effects.
- Sometimes the medicines that the doctor prescribes in order to promote ovulation in a donor of the egg might cause OHSS which might be mild, moderate or even severe. In all the cases, you should consult doctors.
Which symptoms are to worry about?
- Difficulty in breathing
- Weight gain
- Pain in the abdomen/ stomach
- Vomiting and nausea
There should be certain criteria for the egg donors
There are certain factors that might prevent a woman to donate eggs. Some of the factors you should keep in the mind:
- Successful pregnancy might reduce the risk of congenital anomalies
- Donors should be between 21 and 35 years of age. Women of this age usually respond fully to the drugs of fertility.
- Donors should be free of any kind of infections.