Nowadays there are quite a number of fertility clinics in India providing all fertility and infertility related services. But these procedures not only require a lot of time but also the cost of fertility treatment cost is also a determining factor before couples or individuals opt for it.these aren’t planned expenses but the need of the hour for some couples who are in dire need to have a successor of their own.
IVF is the most commonly practiced method in fertility clinics in India. Other methods include:-
- Intrauterine Insemination (IUI):– A procedure in which sperm is inserted into the uterus (sometimes also called artificial insemination)
- IVF+ICSI:- A procedure in which fertilization happens outside of the body and then an embryo is inserted into the uterus.
- Genetic Testing:- Screens for genetic conditions that might affect either the pregnancy or future children.
- Semen Analysis:- Screens for male fertility issues.
- Fertility Drugs:-Can be used to stimulate (or prevent) ovulation—or to help mature eggs develop.
- Frozen embryo transfer:-Insertion of previously frozen embryos into the uterus.
- Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART):- Any type of fertility treatment in which eggs and embryos are handled outside of the body (including IVF)
- Laser-assisted hatching
- Blastocyst culture transfer
- Sperm preservation
- Donor sperm fertilization
- Or, Donor egg preservation and implantation
- Donor embryo preservation and implantation
Fertility Treatment Cost in India: Rate Chart
|IUI||INR 10,000 to 15,000|
|IVF/ ICSI||INR 1,50,00 to 2,50,000|
|Donor sperm||INR 10,000 to 12,000|
|Donor egg||INR 35,000 to 45,000|
|Donor embryo||INR 40,000 to 60,000|
|Frozen Embryo Transfer||INR 40,000 to 50,000|
|Embryo Preservation||INR 30,000 to 35,000|
|Laser-assisted hatching||INR 18,000 to 22,000|
|Blastocyst Culture & Transfer||INR 18,000 to 24,000|
Related: What Happens if an IVF Cycle Fails?
Insurance for fertility clinic procedures
Almost around 27.5 million couples in India suffer from infertility. And the number is likely to go up by more than 10 percent by 2022, according to the Ernst & Young report. Sensing an opportunity, insurance companies, which have so far been shying away from offering cover for infertility treatments, are now looking to come up with retail products. It is not too difficult to find cover for infertility treatment on the group platform, most retail health policies exclude infertility treatments. Moving forward, insurers offering maternity benefit may look at designing products for infertility.
Given that the process of treatment, including that of in-vitro fertilization (IVF), has got more defined, and the fact that the risk is not too difficult to comprehend, we may see more number of companies offering such policies.
Only a few companies have offerings on the retail platform, such as:-
- HDI General Insurance and
- Star Health & Allied Insurance
The cost of infertility treatment, which may require IVF, range upwards of ₹1.5 lakh to ₹2 lakh.
Despite increasing demand, very few couples seek fertility treatment because of cost implications. As problems associated with maternity increase, couples look for alternative treatment. The increasing success rate of such treatments means a rise in exclusive maternity-related insurance covers for specialty products, such as infertility, genetic disorders, and congenital anomalies.