Reproductive Endocrinologist

A reproductive endocrinologist is a doctor who has special training in the diagnosis and treatment of infertility. They use surgery, medicine, or procedures, such as in vitro fertilization (IVF) to treat infertility. A reproductive endocrinologist may also use fertility preservation procedures, such as sperm banking and egg freezing, to help patients to have children.

How to become Reproductive Endocrinologist?

Reproductive Endocrinology is a subspecialty of Obstetrics and Gynecology and requires 4 years of medical school followed by completion of a 4-year residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology. Their training includes:

  • Medicinal and surgical treatment of diseases of the female reproductive region
  • Care of pregnant women
  • Delivering babies

These specialists mainly receive training in providing fertility treatments. Using assisted reproductive technologies such as in-vitro fertilization (IVF) and egg freezing. Reproductive Endocrinologists also have training in obstetrics and gynecology and then have additional training to provide fertility treatment. A Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnoses and

Reproductive Endocrinologist
female reproductive system, the uterus, and ovaries scheme, polycystic ovary syndrome, ovarian cyst

comprehensively treat infertility, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).  Also, the specialist looks after other abnormalities of the reproductive system and perform fertility preservation procedures like egg freezing.

When is it necessary to visit a Reproductive Endocrinologist?

You can go for reproductive endocrinologist if you’re about to undergo cancer treatment followed by radiation or chemotherapy, as this can harm your fertility. They provide certain procedures before treatment which might allow you to have biological children at a later date.

Secondly, if you’re undergoing in vitro fertilization or your partner isn’t able to produce sufficient sperm on the day you have your eggs retrieved, egg freezing might be needed.

What do they treat?

REs have a thorough knowledge of the anatomy and function of the female reproductive system, endocrine system, and knowledge of the male systems, as well. If in the case of a couple trying to conceive in which the male partner has a low sperm count, a reproductive endocrinologist may recommend intrauterine insemination or in vitro fertilization, which can improve chances of fertilization.


Depending on the diagnosis, either oral drugs or surgery is performed by a reproductive surgeon. This may be used as a first attempt to help the couple achieve pregnancy. So, Fertility tablets can be helpful if periods are not regular. These tablets contain clomiphene (Clomid) which work by stimulating the growth and release of the egg in a timely fashion. If Clomid doesn’t work, more powerful, injectable hormones can be used to stimulate ovulation.

Recently, most of the patients seen by Reproductive Endocrinologists are experiencing fertility-related problems. Reproductive endocrinologists are the only doctors to solve such problems as they are qualified to offer egg freezing, perform egg retrievals, or treat complex cases of infertility.

Leave a comment